Posts Tagged tear film
Sharon Kleyne, founder of Bio Logic Aqua Research and water advocate, was recently interviewed about eye care and dry eye.
According to Mrs. Kleyne, when dry eye symptoms are experienced the initial steps should always be to make sure you drink enough water and are eating eye healthy foods. Mrs. Kleyne also noted that the delicate tear film covering the eyes’ exposed portions is 99% water.
It is Mrs. Kleyne’s opinion that the importance of water in medical treatments is overlooked, especially in the eye care field.
“From the moment of birth,” says Mrs. Kleyne, “when an infant first opens its eyes to the world, the body begins losing water, beginning with the eyes. Further research may discover that because eyes are closely connected to the brain, tear film dehydration could cause anxiety, stress and depression.”
Mrs. Kleyne believes that eye hydration – the addition of natural water to the tear film – is systematically overlooked in dry eye treatment around the world. She notes that on the majority of websites dealing with dry eye and computer eye strain, there is no mention of natural tear film moisture supplementation. Mrs. Kleyne advocates drinking eight to ten glasses of water per day, to meet the basic nutritional requirements for eye and body health.
Also important are eye-healthy foods such as dark green leafy vegetables and omega-3 fatty acids. Sleep is vital because tear film water is restored while you sleep. Knowing how to protect the tear film in high risk situations such as wind, extreme heat or cold, solar radiation, extensive computer use, sports participation, fluorescent lighting, exposure to forced-air heating and cooling, etc., is also critical.
The only all-natural, all-water, hand-held eye humidifying device with the patented technology to supplement natural tear film water, is Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® from Bio-Logic Aqua Research. Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® is available at http://www.BioLogicAqua.com, Amazon.com, drugstore.com and selected drugstores nationwide.
Your eyes are protected by a structure called the tear film. The tear film is 99% water, and can become dehydrated through pollution and a dry global environment. To protect and care for the tear film, it is important to know how the tear film is structured.
There are three layers of the tear film:
1. Lipid layer. The lipid layer is the top layer of the tear film and consists of a thin film of fatty oils that lubricate the eyelid, help protect the eye from airborne particles, and slow evaporation of water from the aqueous layer.
2. Aqueous layer. The aqueous layer is the middle, and thickest, tear film layer, and contains the vast majority of its water. It also contains electrolyte, beneficial proteins and enzymes, and bacteria-fighting antibodies.
3. Mucin layer. The mucin layer is the bottom layer and glues the tear film to the ocular surface.
It’s important to keep the eyes hydrated for tear film and vision health. Nature’s Tears EyeMist is a specially formulated all-natural eye mist that supplies the eye with needed moisture while not flooding the tear film.
Loss of moisture in the tear film can result in dry eye, which is the #1 reason for eye doctor visits in the United States.
Contact lenses, those handy-dandy little vision aids, make the difference for 28 million people between seeing clearly in all directions, or being confined to inconvenient and distorting eyeglasses or worse. With the many choices and technological advances available these days, contact lenses should continue to benefit millions of people who have less-than-perfect vision.
Here’s the catch: While a few contact lens users are able to wear their lenses for days or weeks at a time with no problem, such individuals are the exception. Many people can tolerate contact lenses only for short periods, and many cannot tolerate them at all. Even for those who tolerate them reasonably well, lenses frequently cause discomfort. This article will suggest a way to soothe much of the eye discomfort caused by contact lenses:
The amazing tear film
The main thing to know about contact lenses is that they float on the surface of the delicate and complex tear film that covers the exposed parts of the eyeball, and they rely on the tear film’s moisture (water content) to maintain their pliability, integrity and adherence. The surface tension of the tear film’s moisture against the lenses prevents them from falling out.
The problem is that the most popular types of lenses deplete the tear film’s moisture content and therefore interfere with healthy tear film functioning. Soft lenses, and gas permeable lenses, have been compared to miniature sponges because of the amount of tear film moisture they soak up. Even rigid lenses deplete some tear film moisture. In addition, all lenses, even gas permeable, reduce the amount of oxygen reaching the corneal surface. Rigid lenses restrict oxygen the most, which is one reason they are smaller.
Tear film function and structure
The tear film that covers the exposed optical surface is amazingly complex, considering that it is only about five microns (millionths of a meter) thick. Tear film components:
Lipid layer. This topmost layer is comprised of a very thin film of fatty oil that lubricates the eyelid and slows moisture evaporation from the lower layers.
Aqueous layer. The middle and thickest layer contains the vast majority of the tear film’s moisture. This is where most moisture loss occurs. The layer also contains electrolytes, proteins and bacteria-fighting antibodies. It provides oxygenated water to allow the cornea to breathe.
Mucin layer. This bottom layer glues the tear film to the optical surface.
Dry irritated eyes
When tear film moisture is depleted, the resulting abnormal changes can make the eyes feel uncomfortable. The most physically irritating results of tear film moisture loss are an over-concentration of electrolyte (salt) and proteins in the aqueous layer. Insufficient oxygen in the aqueous layer’s moisture can also cause discomfort. Discomfort can include itching, burning, irritation, eyestrain, headache, etc.
Soothing dry, irritated eyes
Soothing dry, irritated eyes, whether caused by contact lenses, environmental conditions or bodily dehydration from illness or stress, is a simple and logical tear film cross section procedure: Simply add moisture to the tear film! In the past 110 years of medical eye care research, however, this has proved more easily said than done.
One problem has been getting the moisture past the overlying lipid layer. As it turns out, our eyes already know how to accomplish this trick. The tear film is perfectly capable of extracting all the moisture it needs from the humidity in the air, provided the air is reasonably humid (70% at 70 degrees), and the humidity droplets are pure and unpolluted.
However…the standard solution to the problem of dry, irritated eyes has been not humidity but eyedrops. Since eyedrops rely on chemical formulations and eyedroppers, they pose numerous drawbacks. The typical eyedrop is ten times larger than the volume of the tear film. When applied, the drop may flood and wash away the natural tear film, including the evaporation-retarding lipid layer. Despite their complex chemistry, formulated eyedrops invariably lack one thing: The minute quantity of pure, natural, pH-balanced water that is all the tear film really needs.
- Additional drawbacks to eyedrops and wetting agents:
- You have to remove your contact lenses to apply them.
- Some people are allergic to the chemicals and preservatives.
- The eyedropper can cause injury.
- Applying eyedrops is a slow, tedious procedure.
In 2002, Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies Biomedical Research introduced Nature’s Tears EyeMist, the first effective, all-natural alternative to formulated eyedrops for dry, irritated eyes. For the first time, millions of contact lens wearers are obtaining instant relief from dry, irritated eyes…without eyedrops.
Nature’s Tears EyeMist solved the problem of getting moisture in extremely minute quantities past the lipid layer into the aqueous layer. This is accomplished very simply, by delivering the moisture as an ultra-pure, ultra-fine mist that emulates the air’s natural humidity. The mist is sprayed towards the face rather than into the eyes, enabling the tear film to extract exactly as much moisture as it needs, no more and no less. In most cases, all that is required to restore the tear film’s moisture content to full volume and comfort, is two to five nanoliters (billionths of a liter). That is far too little to apply with an eyedropper.
As an added benefit, delivering moisture in the form of a mist oxygenates the moisture, thus increasing the aqueous layer’s oxygen content.
The most beneficial component of eyedrops is the paraffin or oil that can serve as a sealer to slow tear film moisture loss. Eyedrops are most effective as a moisture sealer when the tear film’s moisture content is at full capacity. For best results, apply Nature’s Tears EyeMist immediately before applying eyedrops, and use the smallest amount of eyedrops possible. Since Nature’s Tears EyeMist has no dosage limit, it may also be applied between eyedrop applications, or when eyedrops are not convenient.
Nature’s Tears EyeMist – 100% Water Mist Soothes Dry Eyes Without Eye Drops.
* Sharon Kleyne, Founder of Bio-Logic Aqua Research and as internationally syndicated radio talk show host (Sharon Kleyne Hour – Power of Water®), recently announced a brand new United States patent on her company’s all-natural, non-eye drop eye mist product for dry eyes, Nature’s Tears® EyeMist®. This is the first and only dry eye product in the over-the-counter eye care market that is all-natural and not an eye drop.
* Nature’s Tears EyeMist is the only 100% water, 100% pure, all-natural, non-eye drop product sold in any natural health and pharmaceutical dry eye care section of any major drug store. No other dry eye product, with or without eye drops, is as natural, pure or biocompatible with the human eye and tear film. Because it is not an eye drop, Nature’s Tears EyeMist does not flood the tear film when applied so the tear film’s natural structure remains intact.
* Nature’s Tears EyeMist contains only 100% all-natural Bio-Logic Aqua tissue culture grade water. Unlike eye drops, the mist contains no saline, chemicals or formulated compounds. Also, eye drops with preservatives often cause an allergic reaction. Nature’s Tears EyeMist, without eye drops, is 100% safe, healthy and non-allergenic.
* Dry eye symptoms include itching eyes, burning eyes, red eyes, blurred vision, eye fatigue, headaches, shoulder aches, etc. Dry eye is commonly associated with dry air, indoor air, excessive heat or cold, numerous dehydration diseases, medications, wind, low humidity, computer use, airline travel, strenuous activities and many other situations. The most common product for dry eyes have always been formulated eye drops. Read the rest of this entry »
The All-Natural, Patented Alternative to Eye Drops for Dry Eye Disease and Tear Film Hydration.
Nature’s Tears® EYEMIST® All-natural hydration for dry eye. Just-a-MIST® Instantly adds all-natural moisture (water) to the eyes’ tear film – Without eye drops!
Nature’s Tears® EYE MIST® – the all-natural alternative:
* Breakthrough United States patent …more
* Supplemental EYE MIST moisture for dry eye disease …more
* 100% all-natural water …more
* The safety and convenience of MISTing …more
* No dripping, no mess …more
* Non-saline …more
* No burning eyes or blurred vision …more
* No dosage limit …more
* Four year shelf-life …more
* EYE MIST® – The ONLY all-natural alternative for: Dry eye disease, computer vision syndrome, red eye, burning eyes, itching eyes, eye allergies, eye fatigue, eye irritation from perspiration, tear film dehydration and tear film moisture loss.
* MISTing directions and demonstration – DISCOVER THE ALTERNATIVE TO EYEDROPS! …more
Nature’s Tears® EYEMIST® – All-natural, 100% water. EYEMIST® alternative for dry eye, dry air, dry tear film, dry eyelid hydration and computer vision syndrome.
And remember: Someone goes blind every 4 seconds * 1.6 billion people lack abundant and safe water * 100 US cities are listed as “Dry Eye Hot Spots” * 35 million people will be blind by 2030, and … YOU HAVE THE POWER TO PROTECT YOUR VISION!
Unexpected New Tear Film Discovery
“Method and Kit for Moisturizing the Surface of the Eye”
“It has been unexpectedly discovered that administering an amount of fluid (water) to the surface of the eye at a level below that which results in flooding and washing away of the tear film, results in an improvement in eye moisture (water) over prior methods” US patent #7524511-1B, April 9, 2009.
Bio-Logic Aqua Research Technologies International announces a new United States patent on a method of delivering water directly to the eyes, in the form of an ultra-fine mist, to increase tear film hydration and moisture content for dry eye relief. The eye mist has been found to reestablish the normal water state in individuals with dry eye.
(Grants Pass, OR, February 9, 2011) – On April 9, 2009, a United States patent was awarded to Sharon Kleyne, Founder and Research Director at Bio-Logic Aqua Research Technologies International, the company has announced. The patent is on a method of administering “aqueous fluid” (water) directly to the eyes’ tear film to increase moisture content and hydration for dry eye relief.
The eyes’ natural tear film, covering and protecting the eye’s surface, is a complex, three layered structure containing lipids, water, electrolyte, proteins and antibodies. Because conventional eye drop applications exceed the natural tear film volume, drops have the disadvantage of flooding the eye, which washes away the existing tear film and replaces it with the fluid that comprises the drops.
The newly patented water mist application delivers water hydration to the eyes as an ultra-fine eye mist, allowing the tear film to naturally absorb water directly from the air. The eye mist has been found to reestablish the normal water state in individuals with dry eye.
According to Sharon Kleyne, “This patented new eye mist method represents a paradigm shift in eye care that places all-natural absolute humidity at your fingertips to relieve dry eye and tear film dehydration without saline, inconvenient eye drops or allergenic chemicals.”
Tear film researchers at Bio-Logic Aqua have discovered a growing link between air pollution, drought and dry air, out of control allergies and the global crisis in dry eye and other dehydration diseases. The worldwide dry air and water crisis has created a rapidly growing demand for a hand held eye mist product that empowers each individual to become proactive in seeking education to protect their own health.
Bio-Logic Aqua Research – Rogue Media Division. 5001 Lower River Road, Grants Pass, OR 97528; 1-800-FOR-MIST (367-6478); RogueMedia@biologicaquaresearch.com.