Posts Tagged moisture
Sharon Kleyne, founder of Bio Logic Aqua Research and water advocate, was recently interviewed about eye care and dry eye.
According to Mrs. Kleyne, when dry eye symptoms are experienced the initial steps should always be to make sure you drink enough water and are eating eye healthy foods. Mrs. Kleyne also noted that the delicate tear film covering the eyes’ exposed portions is 99% water.
It is Mrs. Kleyne’s opinion that the importance of water in medical treatments is overlooked, especially in the eye care field.
“From the moment of birth,” says Mrs. Kleyne, “when an infant first opens its eyes to the world, the body begins losing water, beginning with the eyes. Further research may discover that because eyes are closely connected to the brain, tear film dehydration could cause anxiety, stress and depression.”
Mrs. Kleyne believes that eye hydration – the addition of natural water to the tear film – is systematically overlooked in dry eye treatment around the world. She notes that on the majority of websites dealing with dry eye and computer eye strain, there is no mention of natural tear film moisture supplementation. Mrs. Kleyne advocates drinking eight to ten glasses of water per day, to meet the basic nutritional requirements for eye and body health.
Also important are eye-healthy foods such as dark green leafy vegetables and omega-3 fatty acids. Sleep is vital because tear film water is restored while you sleep. Knowing how to protect the tear film in high risk situations such as wind, extreme heat or cold, solar radiation, extensive computer use, sports participation, fluorescent lighting, exposure to forced-air heating and cooling, etc., is also critical.
The only all-natural, all-water, hand-held eye humidifying device with the patented technology to supplement natural tear film water, is Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® from Bio-Logic Aqua Research. Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® is available at http://www.BioLogicAqua.com, Amazon.com, drugstore.com and selected drugstores nationwide.
- To minimize exposure to alkaline tap water, daily facial cleansing should be done at the bathroom sink and not in the tub or shower. Ideally, the process should be unrushed and relaxing.
- Place a little mild liquid cleanser in the palm of your wet hand and apply sparingly over your facial skin. Do not rub in.
- Gently rinse the face five to ten times, with a washcloth compress, in very warm water. Leave skin wet
- after rinsing. Pat or press washcloth, do not scrub.
- Your skin is an early-warning of poor health, inadequate nutrition and excessive stress. Always watch for
- skin changes, which may indicate the need for a lifestyle change or a trip to the doctor.
- Finish with a moisture-sealer (lotion or make-up base), to hold in moisture in your skin. To avoid clogging pores, apply skin-care products by placing a small amount on your palm and gently tapping it into your skin with your fingertips. The best moisture-sealers will have a sunscreen SPF of 15 or greater to help prevent skin cancer from solar radiation.
- If you don’t have time for repeated compresses: after the soap application and one or two rinses, soak a washcloth or hand towel with warm water and make a tent over your face. Leave it there for a minute or two, with eyes opened and breathing deeply. This will moisturize skin, eyes and breathing passages.
- For best results, apply NATURE’S MIST® all-natural, pH-correct skin moisturizing water on face and body before cleansing, then again after cleansing but before applying the moisture-sealer. The pre-misting opens pores, softens and relaxes skin and helps toxins, dirt and bacteria come to the surface. Misting just prior to applying the moisture-sealer counteracts the negative effects of alkaline tap water.
The All-Natural, Patented Alternative to Eye Drops for Dry Eye Disease and Tear Film Hydration.
Nature’s Tears® EYEMIST® All-natural hydration for dry eye. Just-a-MIST® Instantly adds all-natural moisture (water) to the eyes’ tear film – Without eye drops!
Nature’s Tears® EYE MIST® – the all-natural alternative:
* Breakthrough United States patent …more
* Supplemental EYE MIST moisture for dry eye disease …more
* 100% all-natural water …more
* The safety and convenience of MISTing …more
* No dripping, no mess …more
* Non-saline …more
* No burning eyes or blurred vision …more
* No dosage limit …more
* Four year shelf-life …more
* EYE MIST® – The ONLY all-natural alternative for: Dry eye disease, computer vision syndrome, red eye, burning eyes, itching eyes, eye allergies, eye fatigue, eye irritation from perspiration, tear film dehydration and tear film moisture loss.
* MISTing directions and demonstration – DISCOVER THE ALTERNATIVE TO EYEDROPS! …more
Nature’s Tears® EYEMIST® – All-natural, 100% water. EYEMIST® alternative for dry eye, dry air, dry tear film, dry eyelid hydration and computer vision syndrome.
And remember: Someone goes blind every 4 seconds * 1.6 billion people lack abundant and safe water * 100 US cities are listed as “Dry Eye Hot Spots” * 35 million people will be blind by 2030, and … YOU HAVE THE POWER TO PROTECT YOUR VISION!
Moisture Is Water!
Creams and lotions are not moisture, even when labeled as “moisturizers”. Moisture can certainly contain substances other than water, but as water diffuses into moisture, the dissolved minerals, contaminants, and pollutants, can remain suspended in the minute moisture droplets.
The Amazing Tear Film.
The ocular tear film the covers the exposed portion of the eye and is only four or five microns thick. When eyes become dry, the ultimate cause is usually moisture depletion in the tear film’s middle layer. This depletion can total no more than two to five nanoliters but those barely measurable quantities can make a huge difference. Replace those nanoliters and your eyes will feel much more comfortable.
The Eye Drop Dilemma.
How do you get two to five nanoliters of into the aqueous layer? You could use a very tiny eyedropper but it would be needle thin and not practical for safety reasons. The typical commercial eyedropper is much larger and blunt-ended. Its drops, however, contain ten to 40 times the volume of the entire tear film. Drops that large flood the tear film and wash away the overlying lipid (oil) layer, whose purpose is to slow moisture evaporation from the aqueous layer. Disrupting the lipid layer can make dry eyes even dryer.
The Mist Solution.
The “Mist Solution,” discovered by Nature’s Tears EyeMist, utilizes an ultra-fine mist instead of drops. The micron-droplets penetrate the overlying lipid layer much like vinegar penetrates salad oil: the oil parts, the water enters and the oil then reseals.
Using the right water is critical. Water for the eyes must be sterile and free from contaminants and pollution. It must be mostly free from salt, heavy metals, artificial formulations and potentially allergenic preservatives. It must contain minute quantities of beneficial minerals such as silicon, calcium and potassium. And it must have a pH (acid/alkaline) balance that is compatible with the tear film’s pH.
A word about salt:
Everyone knows that tears are salty, but exactly how salty they are can be critical. When the aqueous layer loses water to evaporation, the salt remains. It is this over-concentration of salt that causes discomfort. Discomfort is alleviated only when the salt concentration is diluted to normal levels. Adding salt to dry irritated eyes (salt is an ingredient in nearly all artificial tear products), cannot not possibly dilute the aqueous layer’s salt.
Nature’s Tears EyeMist – the First and Only!
Nature’s Tears EyeMist is the first and only product that utilizes a diffusion of ultra-pure, pH compatible water, with a mild and beneficial mineral content, free from preservatives and formulated chemicals. The water is “Bio-Logic Aqua tissue-culture grade water.” This unique water is applied to the eyes – using specially designed vaporizing technology – as an ultra-fine mist, to supply needed moisture, in nanoliter quantities, directly to the tear film’s aqueous layer.
“Tear Film and Treatment of Dry Eye Disease,” by William Mathers, MD. Bio-Logic Aqua Research, 2005.