Posts Tagged eye
The UVA and UVB components of sunlight may cause skin dehydration, sunburn, collagen damage and DNA damage
Sunshine is a wonderful thing. In plants, it stimulates green chlorophyll to produce free oxygen, enabling us to breathe. Sunshine invigorates, energizes and causes the skin to produce Vitamin D, the “Sunshine Vitamin.” Of course, sunshine can also give you a painful sunburn.
The primary “bad factor” in sunlight is ultraviolet (UV) light. UV is the component of sunlight that causes skin dehydration, sunburn, collagen damage, DNA damage and skin cancers such as melanoma. Education about UV light, combined with a few simple skin care precautions, can significantly affect skin (and eye) health.
Ultraviolet light is light with a wavelength just a little too short to fall within the visible spectrum (100 to 400 nanometers). Compare this to infrared light, which has a wavelength just a little too long to fall within in visible spectrum (700 to 3,000 nanometers).
Facts about UV light:
- Earth’s ozone layer filters out 98% of UV rays. Of the UV radiation that gets through, 98% is Ultraviolet-A (UVA).
- (UVA) has a wavelength of 400 to 315 nanometers (visible violet light has a wavelength of 400 to 500 nanometers).
- UVA does not cause sunburn but can cause skin drying, collagen damage and rapid aging.
- UVB has a wavelength of 315 to 280 nanometers.
- UVB causes sunburn and DNA damage that can lead to skin cancers such as melanoma.
- On the positive side, UVB stimulates the production of Vitamin D and melanin (melanin helps block UV rays).
- UVC has a wavelength of 280 to 100 nanometers and is used to kill bacteria.
- UVC can be extremely damaging to skin. You are most likely to encounter UVC at high elevations and in ozone depleted areas such as Antarctica.
Minimizing UV exposure:
- Well hydrated skin, containing adequate water, is more resistant to the harmful effects of UVA and UVB than dehydrated skin (dry skin), with not enough water. Dry air, air pollution, forced-air heating and cooling and insulated walls and windows also contribute to dry skin.
- Sunscreen, which blocks UV light, is recommended for facial skin anytime you go outside in sunlight, no matter what the season.
- Sunscreen is most effective if the skin underneath is well hydrated. In addition to blocking UV rays, the lotion in sunscreen acts as a sealer to help the skin retain water.
- The darker your skin, the higher the melanin component, the more resistant your skin is to UV rays.
- As a sunburn heals, it temporarily stimulates melanin production (tanning).
- Natural fabrics with a tight weave are effective in blocking UV rays. As with sunscreens, different fabrics and weaves have specific SPFs (solar protection factors).
- A hat, sunglasses and long sleeves also offer important UV protection in sunlight.
To make sure your skin (and eyes) contain adequate moisture, drink at least eight glasses of pure water (in addition to coffee, tea, soda or juice) per day. Also, bathe often, keep your windows open when possible. Finally, for dry skin and dry eyes, get into a daily habit of frequent facial and eye misting with Nature’s Tears EyeMist or Nature’s Mist Face of the Water, hand-held water therapy devices from Bio-Logic Aqua Research.
Wikipedia (“Ultraviolet Light”)
“Ultraviolet (UV) Protective Clothing,” Sharon Kleyne Hour – Power of Water. June 23, 2008
“Sun Safety to Prevent melanoma,” Sharon Kleyne Hour – Power of Water. August 31, 2009
Obtaining Maximum Benefit for Dry Eye Symptoms
Recent discoveries by Bio-Logic Aqua Research have resulted in Nature’s Tears EyeMist, the first all-natural, pH balanced water mist product to soothe dry eye symptoms. Correctly application of the eye mist is important for maximum benefit.
Benefits of eye misting.
- Instantly soothes dry irritated eyes.
- Convenient and easy to apply (even if your hand is unsteady).
- No touching of eyelids, tilting back of the head or aiming the dropper.
- Supplies only the amount of water needed by the eyes.
- Does not flood tear film or interfere with the natural tear film structure.
- Moisturizes contact lenses without removing lenses.
- Soothes computer eye strain (also called “Computer Vision Syndrome” or CVS).
- No additives, chemicals, preservatives or propellants.
- Will not “run” eye make-up.
The most common application error is attempting to apply the eye mist as though it was an eye drop, by aiming it directly into the eyes. This can flood the eyes and lessen some of the benefits. The objective of eye misting is to create a swirl of moisture around the face, like humid air, from which the eyes absorb as much water as they need. Brief blinking is OK.
- With eyes open, point the nozzle of the eye mist canister towards the side of your face, next to the eyes (if you point the nozzle directly at the eyes, there could be a reflex to pull away and close the eyes).
- Press the top of the canister to release the eye mist.
- Move the eye mist canister across face, 8 to 12 inches from eyes, in a one-to-two-second sweep. Do not mist directly into eyes.
Natural Products Expo West 2011: Introducing the World’s First All-Natural, 100% Water, Eye Mist for Dry Eyes
(Grants Pass, OR, March 9, 2011)- Sharon Kleyne, internationally syndicated radio talk show host, educator and entrepreneur, will demonstrate Nature’s Tears® EyeMist®, her recently patented, all-organic water mist innovation for the eyes.
Sharon Kleyne, internationally syndicated radio talk show host and Bio-Logic Aqua Research Founder, will appear at Natural Products Expo West 2011. She will answer questions about dry eye and dry air, and demonstrate her newly patented all-natural organic eye mist product, Nature’s Tears® EyeMist®.
- Sharon Kleyne’s appearance at Natural Products Expo West 2011 is sponsored by Health Enterprises, Inc., booth #5610. She will appear from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 12, 2011. Natural Products Expo 2011, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, CA, March 8-13, 2011.
Nature’s Tears EyeMist is the only 100% water, 100% pure, all-natural organic product sold in any pharmaceutical eye care section of any major drug store. No other dry eye product is as natural, pure or biocompatible with the human eye and tear film.
Bio-Logic Aqua Research is the only company dedicated exclusively to all-natural water, health and wellness research and education worldwide (“Earth’s Human Mission”).
Sharon Kleyne’s research has led to numerous environmental health and wellness discoveries:
- All-natural water is the basis for natural health and life on Earth. The eyes’ all-important tear film is comprised of 99% all-natural water.
- Earth’s environment is drying out, both indoors and outdoors, due to increasingly dry air from pollution, climate change and “techno environments.”
- Dry air and dehydration diseases (from body water loss) are now the world’s #1 environmental health issues. 80% of eye doctor visits now relate to dry eye symptoms. 35 million people will be blind by 2035 from dehydration caused macular degeneration. 100 US cities are now listed as “dry eye hot spot.”
In 2009, Sharon Kleyne was awarded a United States patent on the technology of applying all-natural and organic, 100% safe water as a fine-mist to penetrate, hydrate and moisturize the natural tear film to soothe dry eyes.
Sharon Kleyne’s all-water, all-natural water discoveries have been endorsed by universities, doctors and scientists worldwide for their innovative approach to natural eye hydration.
Nature’s Tears EyeMist contains only 100% all-natural Bio-Logic Aqua tissue culture grade water. They contain no eye drops, saline solution, chemicals, additives, preservatives or potential allergens. The products are 100% safe and healthy.
- Contact Sharon Kleyne at 1-800-FOR-MIST, Sharon@biologicaquaresearch.com and www.biologicaqua.com. Listen to The Sharon Kleyne Hour – Power of Water, on the Internet at www.WorldTalkRadio.com or at www.SharonKleyneHour.com.
- While attending Natural Products Expo West 2011, stop by and talk to Sharon Kleyne, witness a demonstration of this amazing new product, and obtain free product samples and coupons.
GRANTS PASS, OR, September 04, 2010 /24-7PressRelease/ — Worldwide, because of global warming, air pollution and population growth, the air we breathe is becoming dangerously and increasingly dry and unhealthy. Dry air and pollution can dehydrate (dry out) the eyes and lead to numerous diseases that are uncomfortable and could result in visual impairment or blindness. The skin is also extremely vulnerable to dry air.
Recent statistics confirm the dangers of dry air and pollution to the eyes and skin. The incidence of chronic dry eye, eye infections (conjunctivitis), glaucoma, dry skin, adult acne and skin cancers is a developing global health crisis. In the US, 100 cities are identified as “Dry Eye Hot Spots.” Worldwide, someone goes blind every five seconds.
In reaction to this global crisis, more and more individuals are seeking ways to proactively protect themselves on their own, through such personal items as lip balm, sunscreen, bottled water, protective clothing and all-natural personal humidifying eye mist.
It is now becoming clear that the effects of dry air extend far beyond the eyes and skin. A recent report in a major U.S. news publication stated that, “influenza spreads better in dry air” and that, “it may be worthwhile to add humidity to the air.”
Bio-Logic Aqua Research and Technology International of Grants Pass, Oregon, the only research company dedicated exclusively to water and health, has been monitoring this problem for many years and has developed an innovative solution with a breakthrough line of products that create a personal micro-environment of pure, moist, healthy “absolute humidity” around the eyes, facial skin and breathing passages.
The company’s signature product, Nature’s Tears EyeMist , is an all-natural, pH balanced, pure water dry eye moisturizing mist (patent pending) that is the only consumer product to provide an envelope of fresh, humid air with special properties for maximum penetration into a dehydrated tear film and facial skin. The company also has other personal, proactive environmental moisturizing products in development.
Nature’s Tears EyeMist is available nationwide at CVS and other fine drug stores. To order online or learn more, go to http://www.naturestears.com. To order direct, phone 1-800-FOR-MIST. Or ask your ophthalmologist or optometrist.
Nature’s Universal Lens
What is the EYE?!
I know what you’re doing right now!
You’re staring at your computer screen (aren’t you?).
And your eyesight is BLURRY!
To Adventure Earth’s Information Highway Revolution!
To learn more click here