Posts Tagged dry eyes
Sharon Kleyne, founder of Bio Logic Aqua Research and water advocate, was recently interviewed about eye care and dry eye.
According to Mrs. Kleyne, when dry eye symptoms are experienced the initial steps should always be to make sure you drink enough water and are eating eye healthy foods. Mrs. Kleyne also noted that the delicate tear film covering the eyes’ exposed portions is 99% water.
It is Mrs. Kleyne’s opinion that the importance of water in medical treatments is overlooked, especially in the eye care field.
“From the moment of birth,” says Mrs. Kleyne, “when an infant first opens its eyes to the world, the body begins losing water, beginning with the eyes. Further research may discover that because eyes are closely connected to the brain, tear film dehydration could cause anxiety, stress and depression.”
Mrs. Kleyne believes that eye hydration – the addition of natural water to the tear film – is systematically overlooked in dry eye treatment around the world. She notes that on the majority of websites dealing with dry eye and computer eye strain, there is no mention of natural tear film moisture supplementation. Mrs. Kleyne advocates drinking eight to ten glasses of water per day, to meet the basic nutritional requirements for eye and body health.
Also important are eye-healthy foods such as dark green leafy vegetables and omega-3 fatty acids. Sleep is vital because tear film water is restored while you sleep. Knowing how to protect the tear film in high risk situations such as wind, extreme heat or cold, solar radiation, extensive computer use, sports participation, fluorescent lighting, exposure to forced-air heating and cooling, etc., is also critical.
The only all-natural, all-water, hand-held eye humidifying device with the patented technology to supplement natural tear film water, is Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® from Bio-Logic Aqua Research. Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® is available at http://www.BioLogicAqua.com, Amazon.com, drugstore.com and selected drugstores nationwide.
Environmental Causes of Computer Eye Irritation, Soothing Dry Irritated Eyes, Computers and Your Eyes
Bio Logic Aqua Research announces new information about computer eye irritation and tips to help protect your eyes.
Environmental causes of CEI:
In addition to the intense light of the computer monitor, research is discovering that several other common office conditions may result in dry, irritated eyes:
- Forced-air heating and cooling.
- Synthetic chemicals (plastics, paint, cleaning fluids, etc).
- Insulated windows and walls.
- Fluorescent lighting.
- Low indoor humidity.
Dry and Irritated Eyes.
The environmental stresses just described all result in a slight increase in moisture (water) evaporation from the delicate TEAR FILM covering the eye’s exposed portions. The tear film, though only about five microns (millionths of a meter) thick, is amazingly complex. It consists of:
- Lipid layer. This topmost layer is comprised of a very thin film of fatty oil that lubricates the eyelid and slows moisture evaporation from the lower layers.
- Aqueous layer. The middle and thickest layer contains the vast majority of the tear film’s moisture. Obviously, this is where most moisture loss occurs. The layer also contains electrolytes, proteins and bacteria-fighting antibodies. It provides oxygenated water to the cornea.
- Mucin layer. This bottom layer consists of mucus that glues the tear film to the optical surface.
The most physically irritating results of tear film moisture loss are an over-concentration of electrolyte (salt) and proteins in the aqueous layer. The results are itching, burning, eye-strain and other symptoms. Insufficient oxygen in the aqueous layer’s moisture can also cause discomfort.
Soothing Dry Irritated Eyes.
Soothing dry, irritated eyes is simple and logical: Simply add moisture to the tear film!
In the past 110 years of medical research, this has proved more easily said than done. Traditional formulated eye drops can be of some benefit as a moisture sealer, but they can be inconvenient to apply and aren’t always effective. The chemicals and preservatives cause an allergic reaction and they may be safely applied only a few times a day. Instead of working naturally to augment and replenish tear film moisture, the large-drop application can flood and wash away the tear film, including protective antibodies, replacing it with artificial chemicals.
Nature’s Tears EyeMist.
The best way to keep eyes moist and minimize CEI discomfort is to mist your eyes with Nature’s Tears EyeMist whenever discomfort is felt. The unique moisture-mist provides the correct pH balance to penetrate to the tear film’s aqueous layer in just the right amount; without flooding. Even if you continue using regular eye drops, they will become more effective as a moisture sealer (to help decrease moisture film evaporation), if you apply Nature’s Tears EyeMist first. Because Nature’s Tears EyeMist has no dosage limit, you may also apply the mist between eye drop applications or as a stand-alone whenever ocular discomfort is felt.
Additional Tips for Minimizing or Preventing CEI:
- An eye care professional may be able to prescribe special “computer glasses.”
- Keep a glass of water near your desk to help humidify the air.
- Sip bottled water while you work…but pour it into a glass before drinking.
- Make a conscious effort to blink more often (especially if you tend to stare at the screen for long periods). Tape a reminder to the computer if necessary.
- Several times per hour, look around the room at objects of varying distances from the computer.
- Take scheduled breaks away from your desk (outdoors if possible, to help reduce stress).
- To reduce glare, position your computer so windows are at the side of your computer rather than in front or back.
- Adjust window blinds so that sunlight is away from your screen and eyes.
- If possible, turn off overhead lights that are too bright or switch to a lower wattage bulb or a desk lamp.
- Attach a glare-blocking hood or filter to your monitor. They can be found at most computer and office supply stores.
- Crack a window to let in humid air from the outside. Outdoor air is free of re-circulated bacteria and shed skin particles from co-workers, which enters via the heating/cooling system and are dehydrating to eyes and skin.
- Set the REFRESH RATE on your monitor as high as you can (over 85 is best). Use a flat-screen if possible. A low refresh rate (60 or less), on a cathode ray monitor, can cause eyestrain and headache. For Windows PC, right click on the opening screen (no programs running), then go to “properties-settings-advanced-monitor.”
- Take long, luxuriant showers every day that allow plenty of steam and moisture to penetrate your eyes, skin, breathing passages and lungs.
- Every couple weeks, take a hot body bath with a cup of Epsom salt dissolved in the bathtub water. This will benefit all parts of your body, including the skin, the eyelids, the skin around the eyes and the eyes.
© Bio Logic Aqua Research
Water on Earth
“Only three-percent of the world’s water is fresh and two-thirds of that is ice. Much of the remainder is either drying up or becoming polluted, making fresh water an endangered species. Water, the source of all life on Earth, is unique – and easily polluted – because it combines with nearly every substance with which it comes in contact, good or bad” (adapted from National Geographic, Special Edition, 1993).
It’s never been done before!
Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies Biomedical Research is the only company, worldwide, to specialize in all-natural tissue culture grade water and hydrotherapy for pharmaceutical application. The company has conducted this groundbreaking research for well over a decade and is committed to a two-fold objective:
- Understanding the medical benefits of the company’s rare Bio-Logic Aqua® Absolute Premium Standard™ tissue-culture grade of water
- Developing applications of the water for the benefit of human health in an increasingly dry and polluted environment
A vault of new discoveries.
Research, under the guidance of Sharon F. Kleyne, Director and Founder, has concentrated on the benefits of Bio-Logic Aqua for relief of dry skin and dry, irritated eyes. This is yielding a vault of new theories and discoveries about skin and eye dehydration. Breakthrough products have resulted including Nature’s Tears EyeMist, Nature’s Mist – Face of the Water, and Bio Med Wash, an all-natural first-aid wash. These products are revolutionizing the treatment of dry skin and dry, irritated eyes while generating excitement among skin, eye care and emergency professionals. Research is continuing into the application of Bio-Logic Aqua for dry mouth, cosmetic enhancement, tissue cell research, surgical healing, and numerous additional benefits.
Education and community involvement.
Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies’ two highest priorities are public education and community involvement. Although success is certainly a major objective, education about skin and eye moisturizing, and the harmful dehydration effects of the environment, dry air both inside and out, has become a higher calling. Forced air heating and cooling, building insulation, airline travel, air pollution, increased stress, increased population, ozone depletion and many other factors are decreasing the available moisture in the air and placing life on Earth at increasing risk. Public awareness of this serious problem is critical, and humanity as a whole must be taught ways in which individuals can protect themselves and minimize their own health damage.
Sharon Kleyne has long recognized a connection between environmental dehydration and a dramatic increase in a potentially fatal cancer called “childhood melanoma.” Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies’ Save-a-Child’s Life was founded in 1996 (became a foundation in 2003) in response to this urgent need. Through its annual Rogue Riviera Water Festival and various other events, the Foundation raises money for childhood melanoma research as well as other children’s charities. The Foundation and Festival have continued to grow annually, while gaining a national reputation as the first foundation to encourage all of us to put our heart and our hands, recognize melanoma in time to save children’s lives.
Nature’s Tears EyeMist – 100% Water Mist Soothes Dry Eyes Without Eye Drops.
* Sharon Kleyne, Founder of Bio-Logic Aqua Research and as internationally syndicated radio talk show host (Sharon Kleyne Hour – Power of Water®), recently announced a brand new United States patent on her company’s all-natural, non-eye drop eye mist product for dry eyes, Nature’s Tears® EyeMist®. This is the first and only dry eye product in the over-the-counter eye care market that is all-natural and not an eye drop.
* Nature’s Tears EyeMist is the only 100% water, 100% pure, all-natural, non-eye drop product sold in any natural health and pharmaceutical dry eye care section of any major drug store. No other dry eye product, with or without eye drops, is as natural, pure or biocompatible with the human eye and tear film. Because it is not an eye drop, Nature’s Tears EyeMist does not flood the tear film when applied so the tear film’s natural structure remains intact.
* Nature’s Tears EyeMist contains only 100% all-natural Bio-Logic Aqua tissue culture grade water. Unlike eye drops, the mist contains no saline, chemicals or formulated compounds. Also, eye drops with preservatives often cause an allergic reaction. Nature’s Tears EyeMist, without eye drops, is 100% safe, healthy and non-allergenic.
* Dry eye symptoms include itching eyes, burning eyes, red eyes, blurred vision, eye fatigue, headaches, shoulder aches, etc. Dry eye is commonly associated with dry air, indoor air, excessive heat or cold, numerous dehydration diseases, medications, wind, low humidity, computer use, airline travel, strenuous activities and many other situations. The most common product for dry eyes have always been formulated eye drops. Read the rest of this entry »
Take a look at the re-designed Bio Logic Aqua Research website!
“Discover the All-Natural, American Produced, Water Therapy Alternative”
Discover who we are:
Water Research is our Mission, Vision and Only Business.
The World’s First Patented, All-Natural Eye Mist Product for Dry Eyes.
Bio-Logic Aqua Research Technologies International is the world’s only company devoted exclusively to researching all-natural water, dehydration, dry air and health. The center was founded in 1989 by international water advocate Sharon Kleyne (Willem Kleyne, co-founder).
Sharon Kleyne’s 30 years of water and health research, and the privately held company’s multi-million dollar research investment, has led to numerous discoveries:
* All-natural water is the basis for health and life on Earth.
* Earth’s environment is losing moisture, both indoors and outdoors, with increasingly dry air from pollution, climate change and “technological environments.”
* Dry air and dehydration diseases (from body water loss) are causing a growing worldwide dry eye, dry skin health crisis that may be life threatening.
Read all the new information HERE