Archive for category Water Education
Sharon Kleyne, founder of Bio Logic Aqua Research and water advocate, was recently interviewed about eye care and dry eye.
According to Mrs. Kleyne, when dry eye symptoms are experienced the initial steps should always be to make sure you drink enough water and are eating eye healthy foods. Mrs. Kleyne also noted that the delicate tear film covering the eyes’ exposed portions is 99% water.
It is Mrs. Kleyne’s opinion that the importance of water in medical treatments is overlooked, especially in the eye care field.
“From the moment of birth,” says Mrs. Kleyne, “when an infant first opens its eyes to the world, the body begins losing water, beginning with the eyes. Further research may discover that because eyes are closely connected to the brain, tear film dehydration could cause anxiety, stress and depression.”
Mrs. Kleyne believes that eye hydration – the addition of natural water to the tear film – is systematically overlooked in dry eye treatment around the world. She notes that on the majority of websites dealing with dry eye and computer eye strain, there is no mention of natural tear film moisture supplementation. Mrs. Kleyne advocates drinking eight to ten glasses of water per day, to meet the basic nutritional requirements for eye and body health.
Also important are eye-healthy foods such as dark green leafy vegetables and omega-3 fatty acids. Sleep is vital because tear film water is restored while you sleep. Knowing how to protect the tear film in high risk situations such as wind, extreme heat or cold, solar radiation, extensive computer use, sports participation, fluorescent lighting, exposure to forced-air heating and cooling, etc., is also critical.
The only all-natural, all-water, hand-held eye humidifying device with the patented technology to supplement natural tear film water, is Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® from Bio-Logic Aqua Research. Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® is available at http://www.BioLogicAqua.com, Amazon.com, drugstore.com and selected drugstores nationwide.
I have given a sample of Nature’s Tears EyeMist, from Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies, to 10 to 15 patients a day for the last nine years. All these patients had come to my ophthalmology office with complaints of dry, burning or irritated eyes and/or blurring or tearing while reading or using computers. The mist was given out along with a sample of artificial tear drops from various manufacturers. I am an enthusiastic investor in, and Medical Director of, Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies because of the feedback from these patients.
To understand this feedback, one must realize that when addressing the very common complaints of burning, blurring, tearing, and irritated eyes, we are primarily treating subjective patient complaints and not objective ocular surface disease. These complaints are often the only reason that the patient called for an appointment.
All patients were given a sample of artificial tear drops with their mist sample and many had tried one of more conventional products in the past, so much of the feedback was in comparison to the myriad of other products on the market. The most remarkable result of this informal sampling survey was patient enthusiasm. Feedback on all other drop, ointment, eyewash and nutritional supplement products for dry eye has always been lukewarm at best: “Better than nothing,” “helps for a little while,” “or “doesn’t help.” Nature’s Tears EyeMist inspired such comments as, “I love that stuff” or “it’s better than all the other products”.
Contributing to this patient enthusiasm is the absence of burning, stinging, and blurring. All chemically compounded artificial tears cause these problems in certain patients due to the thickening polymers and chemical nature of these products. Because Natures Tears Eye Mist is not a compounded product and contains only water, water pure enough to serve as a superior base for tissue culture media, this product cannot and does not cause burning, stinging, and blurring.
Prior to the introduction of this product, I never had an enthusiastic response to any dry eye product. Ophthalmologists and optometrists had been hoping for a better product because these unhappy patients are a several times a day reality in our practices.
Besides patient enthusiasm for the relief of symptoms offered by the mist, convenience of administration must be considered. One cannot safely instill artificial tear drops while driving on a busy freeway but misting in this situation is easy and not dangerous. None of the drops or ointment products offers the possibility of frequent, convenient dosing, and frequent dosing is the key to relief in many patients.
Please note that Nature’s Tears EyeMist was offered to patients in addition to conventional products, not as a sole alternative. Many patients ultimately used both drops and mist in a way that maximized their relief. The polymer or gum component in drops results in a longer duration of relief and the mist is quick, easy and effective between drops. I have found that Nature’s Tears EyeMist is an important complement to, and not a replacement for the other products on the market.
Experience with this product will show that while there are a few patients who can’t or won’t mist their eyes, the enthusiastic response of many others demonstrates that the market potential for Nature’s Tears EyeMist is huge. No other product generates so much patient enthusiasm and no other product is as frequently described as “the most effective product available.”
– Philip Y. Paden, MD
Environmental Causes of Computer Eye Irritation, Soothing Dry Irritated Eyes, Computers and Your Eyes
Bio Logic Aqua Research announces new information about computer eye irritation and tips to help protect your eyes.
Environmental causes of CEI:
In addition to the intense light of the computer monitor, research is discovering that several other common office conditions may result in dry, irritated eyes:
- Forced-air heating and cooling.
- Synthetic chemicals (plastics, paint, cleaning fluids, etc).
- Insulated windows and walls.
- Fluorescent lighting.
- Low indoor humidity.
Dry and Irritated Eyes.
The environmental stresses just described all result in a slight increase in moisture (water) evaporation from the delicate TEAR FILM covering the eye’s exposed portions. The tear film, though only about five microns (millionths of a meter) thick, is amazingly complex. It consists of:
- Lipid layer. This topmost layer is comprised of a very thin film of fatty oil that lubricates the eyelid and slows moisture evaporation from the lower layers.
- Aqueous layer. The middle and thickest layer contains the vast majority of the tear film’s moisture. Obviously, this is where most moisture loss occurs. The layer also contains electrolytes, proteins and bacteria-fighting antibodies. It provides oxygenated water to the cornea.
- Mucin layer. This bottom layer consists of mucus that glues the tear film to the optical surface.
The most physically irritating results of tear film moisture loss are an over-concentration of electrolyte (salt) and proteins in the aqueous layer. The results are itching, burning, eye-strain and other symptoms. Insufficient oxygen in the aqueous layer’s moisture can also cause discomfort.
Soothing Dry Irritated Eyes.
Soothing dry, irritated eyes is simple and logical: Simply add moisture to the tear film!
In the past 110 years of medical research, this has proved more easily said than done. Traditional formulated eye drops can be of some benefit as a moisture sealer, but they can be inconvenient to apply and aren’t always effective. The chemicals and preservatives cause an allergic reaction and they may be safely applied only a few times a day. Instead of working naturally to augment and replenish tear film moisture, the large-drop application can flood and wash away the tear film, including protective antibodies, replacing it with artificial chemicals.
Nature’s Tears EyeMist.
The best way to keep eyes moist and minimize CEI discomfort is to mist your eyes with Nature’s Tears EyeMist whenever discomfort is felt. The unique moisture-mist provides the correct pH balance to penetrate to the tear film’s aqueous layer in just the right amount; without flooding. Even if you continue using regular eye drops, they will become more effective as a moisture sealer (to help decrease moisture film evaporation), if you apply Nature’s Tears EyeMist first. Because Nature’s Tears EyeMist has no dosage limit, you may also apply the mist between eye drop applications or as a stand-alone whenever ocular discomfort is felt.
Additional Tips for Minimizing or Preventing CEI:
- An eye care professional may be able to prescribe special “computer glasses.”
- Keep a glass of water near your desk to help humidify the air.
- Sip bottled water while you work…but pour it into a glass before drinking.
- Make a conscious effort to blink more often (especially if you tend to stare at the screen for long periods). Tape a reminder to the computer if necessary.
- Several times per hour, look around the room at objects of varying distances from the computer.
- Take scheduled breaks away from your desk (outdoors if possible, to help reduce stress).
- To reduce glare, position your computer so windows are at the side of your computer rather than in front or back.
- Adjust window blinds so that sunlight is away from your screen and eyes.
- If possible, turn off overhead lights that are too bright or switch to a lower wattage bulb or a desk lamp.
- Attach a glare-blocking hood or filter to your monitor. They can be found at most computer and office supply stores.
- Crack a window to let in humid air from the outside. Outdoor air is free of re-circulated bacteria and shed skin particles from co-workers, which enters via the heating/cooling system and are dehydrating to eyes and skin.
- Set the REFRESH RATE on your monitor as high as you can (over 85 is best). Use a flat-screen if possible. A low refresh rate (60 or less), on a cathode ray monitor, can cause eyestrain and headache. For Windows PC, right click on the opening screen (no programs running), then go to “properties-settings-advanced-monitor.”
- Take long, luxuriant showers every day that allow plenty of steam and moisture to penetrate your eyes, skin, breathing passages and lungs.
- Every couple weeks, take a hot body bath with a cup of Epsom salt dissolved in the bathtub water. This will benefit all parts of your body, including the skin, the eyelids, the skin around the eyes and the eyes.
© Bio Logic Aqua Research
Sharon Kleyne Talks about Dry Eye Education, Dry Eye Products and Nature’s Tears® EyeMist®, as heard on Apple iTunes, World Talk Radio, Voice America and Green Talk Network and Amazon.com.
Nearly everyone who regularly uses a computer experiences occupational computer eye strain symptoms. Dry eye and computer eye strain (also called computer dry eye) are a growing health crisis caused by a combination of computers, indoor and outdoor air pollution, and increasingly dry air. The phrase “dry eyes” is Googled, on average, 246,000 times a month.
As part of Sharon Kleyne’s interest in water and health, the creator of the Sharon Kleyne Hour Power of Water radio talk show and the product Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® has been researching the latest recommendations for prevention of dry eye and computer eye strain.
“Dry eye,” Mrs. Kleyne explains, “is the number one reason for United States eye doctor visits. Dry eye symptoms such as eye fatigue and blurred vision could lead to severe dry eye, corneal ulceration, impaired vision, lost productivity and blindness. The solution is education ”
Everyone who works daily at a computer, according to Shaorn Kleyne, should think about the following questions.
*Do you work at a computer all day and again at night?
*Do you drink enough water a day?
*Do you keep an eye mist such as Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® near your computer and apply it frequently?
*Are you proactive in keeping eyes, and the air around your desk, moist and humid?
*Do you keep eye drops beside your computer, use them frequently and worry about exceeding the recommended daily dosage?
*Do you work in an office with forced-air heating and cooling, fluorescent lighting and sealed windows?
*Is the air outside your office polluted?
*Do your eyes feel good in the morning but bother you later in the day?
*Do you get enough sleep?
*Are you constantly stressed and rushed?
*Do you get sleepy during the day?
*Do you drink coffee, smoke or eat sugar snacks while working?
*Is your productivity and attention span decreasing?
*Do your shoulders or neck get sore when you sit at the computer? Do you get frequent headaches or allergies?
*Are you overweight or gaining weight?
*How often do you eat dark green leafy vegetables? What about carrots? Do you eat fish regularly or take omega-3 supplements?
*How often do you take long, soaking baths?
*Are there anti-stress activities in your daily routine? How often to you take work breaks? How often do you rest your eyes?
*Are you bothered by screen glare? Have you positioned your computer to reduce glare? From your chair, do you look up, down or straight across at the screen?
Some of the above questions (such as “do you drink coffee”) suggest possible measures for proactive prevention. Others do not. Mrs. Kleyne has made numerous discoveries regarding computer eye strain, dry eye, lifestyle, water, health and nutrition and shares them in Part Two of this Two Part Series.
The only all-natural pH balanced eye mist designed to soothe dry eye and computer eye strain is Nature’s Tears EyeMist, sponsor of the Sharon Kleyne Hour Power of Water. Nature’s Tears EyeMist is available on http://www.Amazon.com under “Eye and Health Care,” and “Computer Accessories.”
Listen to the Sharon Kleyne Hour Power of Water Mondays, 10 a.m., PST/PDT. The syndicated show is heard on Voice America/World Talk Radio, Green Talk Network and Apple iTunes. Go to http://www.SharonKleyneHour.com for summaries and replays of past shows. Also visit http://www.naturestears.com, http://whatistheeye.wordpress.com, “Nature’s Tears EyeMist” on Facebook and “Bio-Logic Aqua” on Twitter.
© 2011 Bio-Logic Aqua Research
Strategy for a New Global Business of Water Category Revitalizes Dry Skin, Oily Skin and Dry Make-up
Nature’s Mist® – a Simply Moist® experience! Woman invented, woman owned American product – now being discovered by women (and men) all over the world. New discovery – the Power of Water®.
Nature’s Mist® – Face of the Water® e-commerce commitment.
Sharon Kleyne, Founder of Oregon’s Bio-Logic Aqua Research and international water advocate, is announcing an increased emphasis on e-commerce and retail Internet accounts for Nature’s Mist® – Face of the Water®, the company’s breakthrough “business of water” product that naturally humidifies, hydrates and revitalizes dry skin, dry make-up and faded cosmetic colors.
“E-commerce,” explains Mrs. Kleyne, “is global, open 24 hours, and has a unique ability to quickly reach consumers of all ages and categories. This includes outreach to targeted subgroups such as women, teens, seniors, sports participants; allergy, acne and dermatitis sufferers; women who wear make-up, people in dry or polluted climates, office workers, airline passengers, etc.”
Nature’s Mist® – Face of the Water®, according to Mrs. Kleyne, has been extremely successful in high-end department stores, a TV infomercial and its own website (www.naturesmist.com). Internet retail venues such as Amazon.com have been especially effective in helping Nature’s Mist® reach out to consumers looking for natural skin care education and products for dry or oily skin.
Water is the ONLY method to moisturize skin.
After two decades of research, Sharon Kleyne has discovered and proven that skin is 70% water and that there is only one correct method to moisturize dry or oily skin – WATER! “Moisturizing” crèmes and lotions are moisture sealers that slow water loss. They do not add water to dry skin.
Sharon Kleyne’s breakthrough research led to the discovery of “Earth’s Secret” – Bio-Logic Aqua® tissue culture water, the only known all-natural water with the correct pH balance (slightly acidic 6.49 – compatible with human skin) and light mineral solute content (heavy minerals waters are drying to skin), for maximum beneficial skin absorption and bacterial protection. European waters tend to be alkaline (pH greater than 7.0), mineral-heavy and not skin compatible.
The secret spring water is now Bio-Logic Aqua Research’s “trade secret” and the only ingredient in Nature’s Mist® – Face of the Water®. Nature’s Mist® contains no formulated chemicals, preservatives, saline solution, potential allergens or harmful propellants.
New global discovery: Nature’s Mist® – Face of the Water®.
The all-natural Nature’s Mist method of skin hydration is a personal hand-held device that humidifies the air around the skin so the moisture can be naturally absorbed. The trade secret Bio-Logic Aqua® water was proven in double-blind research to be superior in absorption and retention. People all over the world report visible results instantly!
Nature’s Mist’s ageless secret spring water redefines dry skin and helps reduce dry lines and wrinkles. The Power of Water® revitalizes faded make-up and instantly restores cosmetic colors.
Dry skin, dry air and the environment.
“Worldwide,” Mrs. Kleyne explains, “the air we breathe is too dry. Everyone knows the air is polluted and dirty but few realize that our air is also losing its life-giving clean water content (humidity). Indoor air is even more dehydrating and Moisture Starvation® is the number one environmental threat to health. The good news is that my company’s personal hand-held water misting devices empower every individual to provide their own instant humidity supplement, regardless of how dirty or dry the air.
“Earth is always changing,” she concludes, “and for human life to survive, we must learn the Power of Water®. In the current global environment, with the help of our wonderful Internet partners, Bio-Logic Aqua’s “business of water” products, including Nature’s Mist® – Face of the Water®, will one day be as indispensable as drinking water, clothing, sunscreen and lip balm. The Power of Water® will save lives!”
The Nature’s Mist® product logo, according to Mrs. Kleyne, symbolizes the women of the world who carry water daily to save lives. Since the dawn of humankind, women have carried water (and still do in much of the world) to prevent moisture starvation and to cleanse and nourish their families.
“Five thousand children a day die from water related causes such as malaria, dehydration, diarrhea and melanoma,” she notes. “And 1.5 billion of the word’s 6 billion people lack adequate water.”
Sharon Kleyne is committed to helping alleviate the global water crisis. She Founded the Save-a-Child’s Life Foundation® to recognize pediatric melanoma and she hosts The Sharon Kleyne Hour – Power of Water at http://www.worldtalkradio.com and on Apple iTunes and Green Talk Network, Mondays at 10 a.m. PST/PDT. The radio talk show is sponsored by Nature’s Tears® EyeMist® and Bio-Logic Aqua Research.
The Power of Water® will save lives – and you can make a difference.
See http://www.naturestears.com for product demonstration, description and references.
* Sharon Kleyne, Founder of Bio-Logic Aqua Research and as internationally syndicated radio talk show host (Sharon Kleyne Hour – Power of Water®), recently announced a brand new United States patent on her company’s all-natural, non-eye drop eye mist product for dry eyes, Nature’s Tears® EyeMist®. This is the first and only dry eye product in the over-the-counter eye care market that is all-natural and not an eye drop.
* Nature’s Tears EyeMist is the only 100% water, 100% pure, all-natural, non-eye drop product sold in any natural health and pharmaceutical dry eye care section of any major drug store. No other dry eye product, with or without eye drops, is as natural, pure or biocompatible with the human eye and tear film. Because it is not an eye drop, Nature’s Tears EyeMist does not flood the tear film when applied so the tear film’s natural structure remains intact.
* Nature’s Tears EyeMist contains only 100% all-natural Bio-Logic Aqua tissue culture grade water. Unlike eye drops, the mist contains no saline, chemicals or formulated compounds. Also, eye drops with preservatives often cause an allergic reaction. Nature’s Tears EyeMist, without eye drops, is 100% safe, healthy and non-allergenic.
* Dry eye symptoms include itching eyes, burning eyes, red eyes, blurred vision, eye fatigue, headaches, shoulder aches, etc. Dry eye is commonly associated with dry air, indoor air, excessive heat or cold, numerous dehydration diseases, medications, wind, low humidity, computer use, airline travel, strenuous activities and many other situations. The most common product for dry eyes have always been formulated eye drops.
* Bio-Logic Aqua Research is the only company dedicated exclusively to all-natural water, health and wellness research and education worldwide (“Earth’s Human Mission”). The company’s research focuses on an all-natural water mist because unlike eye-drops, that is how the eyes (and skin), naturally hydrate themselves – by absorbing moisture from the air.
* Sharon Kleyne’s research has led to numerous environmental health and new all-natural wellness discoveries:
- All-natural water is the basis for natural health and life on Earth. The eyes’ all-important tear film is comprised of 99% water.
- Earth’s environment is causing dehydration diseases. The air is too dry, both indoors and outdoors, due to increasingly dry air from pollution, climate change and “techno environments.”
- Dry air and dehydration diseases (body water loss from birth) are the world’s #1 environmental health issues. 80% of eye doctor visits now relate to dry eye symptoms. 35 million people could be blind by 2035. Every four seconds, someone goes blind! 100 US cities are now listed as “dry eye hot spot.” Eye drops may alleviate some symptoms but the true solution is the power of water.
* Eye drops can be beneficial in helping to seal in tear film water. However, eye drops can also flood and disrupt the natural tear film structure, increasing the potential for water loss through evaporation.
* In 2009, Sharon Kleyne was awarded a United States patent on the technology of applying all-natural, 100% safe water eye mist to penetrate, hydrate and moisturize the natural tear film to soothe dry eyes without eye drops. Unlike eye drops, the mist also hydrates dry eyelids, a factor in dry eye.
* Sharon Kleyne’s all-water, all-natural, non-eye drop water discoveries have been endorsed by universities, doctors and scientists worldwide for their innovative approach to natural eye hydration.
Bio-Logic Aqua Research – Rogue Media Division. 5001 Lower River Road, Grants Pass, OR 97528; 1-800-FOR-MIST (367-6478); RogueMedia@biologicaquaresearch.com.
Contact lenses, those handy-dandy little vision aids, make the difference for 28 million people between seeing clearly in all directions, or being confined to inconvenient and distorting eyeglasses or worse. With the many choices and technological advances available these days, contact lenses should continue to benefit millions of people who have less-than-perfect vision.
Here’s the catch: While a few contact lens users are able to wear their lenses for days or weeks at a time with no problem, such individuals are the exception. Many people can tolerate contact lenses only for short periods, and many cannot tolerate them at all. Even for those who tolerate them reasonably well, lenses frequently cause discomfort. This article will suggest a way to soothe much of the eye discomfort caused by contact lenses:
The amazing tear film
The main thing to know about contact lenses is that they float on the surface of the delicate and complex tear film that covers the exposed parts of the eyeball, and they rely on the tear film’s moisture (water content) to maintain their pliability, integrity and adherence. The surface tension of the tear film’s moisture against the lenses prevents them from falling out.
The problem is that the most popular types of lenses deplete the tear film’s moisture content and therefore interfere with healthy tear film functioning. Soft lenses, and gas permeable lenses, have been compared to miniature sponges because of the amount of tear film moisture they soak up. Even rigid lenses deplete some tear film moisture. In addition, all lenses, even gas permeable, reduce the amount of oxygen reaching the corneal surface. Rigid lenses restrict oxygen the most, which is one reason they are smaller.
Tear film function and structure
The tear film that covers the exposed optical surface is amazingly complex, considering that it is only about five microns (millionths of a meter) thick. Tear film components:
Lipid layer. This topmost layer is comprised of a very thin film of fatty oil that lubricates the eyelid and slows moisture evaporation from the lower layers.
Aqueous layer. The middle and thickest layer contains the vast majority of the tear film’s moisture. This is where most moisture loss occurs. The layer also contains electrolytes, proteins and bacteria-fighting antibodies. It provides oxygenated water to allow the cornea to breathe.
Mucin layer. This bottom layer glues the tear film to the optical surface.
Dry irritated eyes
When tear film moisture is depleted, the resulting abnormal changes can make the eyes feel uncomfortable. The most physically irritating results of tear film moisture loss are an over-concentration of electrolyte (salt) and proteins in the aqueous layer. Insufficient oxygen in the aqueous layer’s moisture can also cause discomfort. Discomfort can include itching, burning, irritation, eyestrain, headache, etc.
Soothing dry, irritated eyes
Soothing dry, irritated eyes, whether caused by contact lenses, environmental conditions or bodily dehydration from illness or stress, is a simple and logical tear film cross section procedure: Simply add moisture to the tear film! In the past 110 years of medical eye care research, however, this has proved more easily said than done.
One problem has been getting the moisture past the overlying lipid layer. As it turns out, our eyes already know how to accomplish this trick. The tear film is perfectly capable of extracting all the moisture it needs from the humidity in the air, provided the air is reasonably humid (70% at 70 degrees), and the humidity droplets are pure and unpolluted.
However…the standard solution to the problem of dry, irritated eyes has been not humidity but eyedrops. Since eyedrops rely on chemical formulations and eyedroppers, they pose numerous drawbacks. The typical eyedrop is ten times larger than the volume of the tear film. When applied, the drop may flood and wash away the natural tear film, including the evaporation-retarding lipid layer. Despite their complex chemistry, formulated eyedrops invariably lack one thing: The minute quantity of pure, natural, pH-balanced water that is all the tear film really needs.
- Additional drawbacks to eyedrops and wetting agents:
- You have to remove your contact lenses to apply them.
- Some people are allergic to the chemicals and preservatives.
- The eyedropper can cause injury.
- Applying eyedrops is a slow, tedious procedure.
In 2002, Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies Biomedical Research introduced Nature’s Tears EyeMist, the first effective, all-natural alternative to formulated eyedrops for dry, irritated eyes. For the first time, millions of contact lens wearers are obtaining instant relief from dry, irritated eyes…without eyedrops.
Nature’s Tears EyeMist solved the problem of getting moisture in extremely minute quantities past the lipid layer into the aqueous layer. This is accomplished very simply, by delivering the moisture as an ultra-pure, ultra-fine mist that emulates the air’s natural humidity. The mist is sprayed towards the face rather than into the eyes, enabling the tear film to extract exactly as much moisture as it needs, no more and no less. In most cases, all that is required to restore the tear film’s moisture content to full volume and comfort, is two to five nanoliters (billionths of a liter). That is far too little to apply with an eyedropper.
As an added benefit, delivering moisture in the form of a mist oxygenates the moisture, thus increasing the aqueous layer’s oxygen content.
The most beneficial component of eyedrops is the paraffin or oil that can serve as a sealer to slow tear film moisture loss. Eyedrops are most effective as a moisture sealer when the tear film’s moisture content is at full capacity. For best results, apply Nature’s Tears EyeMist immediately before applying eyedrops, and use the smallest amount of eyedrops possible. Since Nature’s Tears EyeMist has no dosage limit, it may also be applied between eyedrop applications, or when eyedrops are not convenient.